Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bribery, peer pressure, and sibling rivalry.


We are alive.

We made it home from Georgia.
Ah, so much to write!!

My beautiful, fabulous, wonderful, beautiful, perfect, beautiful niece was a delight. I was on night duty---uh, when she wasn't in the hospital.

Ok, wait. I'm writing the wrong post.
More on Tilly later.

Tonight, I already decided I'm NOT writing this post. Not enough time.
So, let me stay focused, and finish the post I AM writing.



Chris got home from work, and we were riding bikes outside. J was cruising around on his bike with worthless training wheels. Chris mentioned that it didn't look like J's high quality ghetto wal-mart junk training wheels were actually being used (read: they were both about 6 inches off the ground), so he asked J if he wanted to take them off.

He enthusiastically responded by leaping off his bike, tucking, rolling, and saying, "YESS!"

So we did just that.

And then he started crying.

But it was too late. Ya know? Parenting 101: sometimes you have to be mean and make your kids do things that they (don't) want to do. I think it builds character. The good kind. Not the bad. I'm not sure how, but I totally have this rule down.

So, we threw the bikes, Hugh, and crying J into the car, and off to the park we went.

J was less than thrilled. Actually, he was weeping and wailing. Something about being "really, really, really, I mean really too little, MOMMMMMMMM!"Exactly the sentimental moment I had imagined. My first born, venturing off into still-toddler-hood-but-almost-man-child future. Training wheels is a big deal. I don't know why I was the one being blamed for the child abuse; Chris was guilty! I was simply an innocent bystander, holding a camera... and chocolate. For bribery.

When the bribe started to loose it's flare, we moved right on to peer pressure.We told him that one of his best friends was much smaller than he is right now, when he took his training wheels off. Since that bit of information went in one ear and out the other, we resulted to bringing out sibling rivalry at it's finest---at our house we only encourage quality relationships.

We did what any smart parent would do. We put the two year old brother on the bike, and let him fly down a hill...without training wheels...or any human stabilization.

Of course it was no real surprise that Hugh thought it was a riot and magically rode to the bottom of the hill on his own.

And J couldn't have cared less.



WARNING: PLEASE EXCUSE THE HYENA HOLDING THE CAMERA. I'm not sure who invited her to come on our family outing. Oh, and PS she is not only hyena, but LOUD. Don't say I didn't warn you.

9 comments:

  1. oh i so love this and those boys so much. i want to come see you all soon. or come to utah? just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that when Chris asked J if he wanted to try again he just said "No" Elizabeth would have FREAKED OUT if we let Millie ride her bike. We play that game of "well millie will do it" Daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this is an awesome video! And sad -- Charlie came over to the computer when he heard the video and promptly climbed onto my lap and pointed at the screen saying "that's me! Baby Charlie, on my bike! That's my daddy! That's mommy!" Uh, he only has a trike. And he has to have us as parents. But at least he can live vicariously through Hugh, right?!!
    I'm going to go buy him a bike now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fearlessness of Hugh, and the sheer awesoemness of J. I am sad we didn't get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the hyena :) and your last post made me cry. Thank goodness for the plan of salvation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have decided that competition must be healthy because it allows Diego to do nearly everything he does. After all, he wouldn't get in and out of the bath or in his carseat unless he was "racing to beat Rosie". I like to think of it as creative parenting. hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry.. Brandon was me, Aubrey. My hubby doesn't usually cry haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love how you write. IT's true about the character building! We do that too, even though we aren't sure how it's going to play out! I can't believe hugh made it down with no help! The things we do, to get our kids to do something!

    ReplyDelete